Dajla, Travel Guide for holidays in Dajla, Istria
Dajla – Points of interests
The population mostly deals with farming (grapes, olives, wheat), fishing, and in recent times, tourism (restaurants, rental apartments and bungalows). The whole coast was settled in the Roman period (remains of rustic villas, inscriptions, tombs, etc.), and in the VI century was built the first Christian basilica (remains of floor mosaics). The name of the village was first mentioned in the 1028th as Ayla, when he was subjected to the Patriarch of Aquileia. In XIIIcentury for unknown reasons was abandoned and it came into possession of the Novigrad bishops, who assigned it to a noble family named Sabini. They built a fort (castle) which became the center of a large estate, but was later abandoned. In 1736 the family Grisoni from Kopar bought the estate. They refurbished it and built a new palace complex with a park in the middle (Cypress Park to the sea). The old castle was demolished in 1830. The parish church of St. John the Baptist was built in 1763-1903 in late Baroque and neo-classical style. On the top of Belvedere near the bottom of the bay is the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy, built in 1912.
Photo to buy