Hum, Travel Guide for holidays in Hum, Istria
Hum – Points of interests
Protected by an oval wall it has a gate and a lodgr, St.Jerome’s church in which there are beautiful frescoes from the 12th century . It was first mentioned in documents dating from 1102, at that time it was called Cholm which is derived from the Italian name Colmo. A bell and watch tower was built in 1552 as part of the town’s defenses beside the town loggia. The present parish Church of St. Jerome (Sveti Jeromim) with its classical facade was built in 1802 . The “Hum Glagolitic wall writings” are preserved in the church, written in the formative period of Glagolitic (the second half of the 12th century) and they are one of the oldest examples of Croatian Glagolitic literary culture in the Middle Ages. The town museum exhibits a few Glagolitic writings.
Photo to buy